We have adopted Sunset Ridge Elementary School, a Westminster Public School. We chose this school because it has an extremely high number of participants in the Free Lunch Program and an extremely high number of students for who English is not their first language. Despite these challenges, this school has maintained a high rating from the State Education Board.
- Supply Drive: As the students return to school, teachers are constantly spending their own funds to equip their classroom with needed supplies students don’t provide or cannot afford to provide. Our annual school supply drive provides those needed supplies to the teachers and helps the students start the school year off right.
- Feed our Families: Because so many of the students participate in the Free Lunch Program, when they are not at school, they struggle to eat right as families have trouble providing food. Through this drive, we provide food for the families in need during school breaks.
- Tutoring: Through our lunch bunch tutoring program we work regularly with the same group of students to help improve their reading skills building confidence and self pride.
Children’s Traveling Theater
This multi decade program brings theatrical arts to preschool and elementary age children building an appreciation for the arts and helping develop well-rounded individuals. It is easy to get involved in this rewarding program.
- Helping people become part of their new community: We volunteer in the community through our community partner Casa De Paz, to help new immigrants settle into our community and work through any issues they face.
- Hygiene Kits for Immigrants: Putting together hygiene kits for those at the board and entering our community we help individual meet their most basic needs.
- Immigration Dinners: Providing meals for new immigrant families recently released from ICE detention.
Bags for the Homeless
Twice a year we gather supplies—necessities for the season and create bags to distribute to the homeless. Our bags include hats, socks, gloves, scarves, toiletries, hand sanitizer, etc. in the winter and flipflops, hats/visors, sunscreen, socks, toiletries, hand sanitizer, etc. in the summer. In each bag we include a card of resources from the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless, a national leader in providing integrated housing, health care, vocational and supportive services that creates lasting solutions to homelessness. When you deliver the bags you see smiles on people’s faces who do not have a lot to smile about and you will vow to make even more bags next time.
Events at the Gathering Place
Twice a year we celebrate our holidays (Hanukkah and Passover) with the women at the Gathering Place. The Denver Gathering Place was founded in 1986 and is the only daytime drop-in center in metropolitan Denver that serves women, transgender individuals, and their children who are experiencing poverty, many of whom are also experiencing homelessness. It is a rewarding experience to sit together with these women and children, share our traditions and brighten up their day.
Knitting for Veterans
Every year we knit scarves for the women veterans who are at the Regional VA Hospital located in Denver. We deliver the scarves in time for the holidays and brighten up their lives while keeping them warm. This last holiday season we delivered over 70 items.
For Decades we have been providing scholarships to young Jewish Colorado women in need who desiring to continue their education after high school. Last year we were able to give 7 scholarships and hope to do the same this year. You can find the application here. Once the recipients are identified and notified we celebrate their scholarships through an annual event with the recipients, their families, our donors and our members. It is a highlight of the year and an event not to be missed.
The scholarships are given in honor of the women who have shaped our organization. Many daughters give scholarships in honor of their mothers and the work they did for NCJW. A scholarship can be perpetual or a one time event. If you would like to honor someone by providing a scholarship please contact us.